Innovation Campus Road Upgrade
Select Civil were engaged by Fernandes Constructions to complete the earth and civil works for the bridge construction and associated road works connecting Wollongong’s Innovation Campus to Montague Street North Wollongong, for client; University of Wollongong.
The $1.1 Million project was completed in December 2013.
The scope of works for the project included:
- Clearing of river crossing floor, installation and trim of rip-rap protection aggregate.
- Demolition and clearing of existing road and pathways.
- Preparation of road sub-grade, sub-base and base course material on approach to bridge in both directions.
- Kerbing, concrete island, spray seal and asphalt works.
- Installation of signage, line marking.
- Remediation of site.
Tidal waters feeding the river created challenges during construction, requiring the installation of coffer dams on the upstream and downstream side of the bridge works, with a 225mm PVC pipe connecting the two. This allowed for natural tidal movements of the system to continue without disruption to the local environment – or the bridge construction.
This damming set up was removed once construction was complete, and allowing the natural flow of the channel to reoccur.